“A 20-second pitch is not enough time”, I hear this all the time, but it simple isn’t true. I host a monthly entrepreneur networking event called Startup Investor Drinks which includes a 20-second pitch to the crowd, for those brave enough. You can say a lot in a 20-second pitch but the key is to just say enough to get people’s interest and get them to want more information. A 20-second pitch is a brief presentation that sums up the key points of your business in a clear and concise manner. It’s a crucial part of any entrepreneur’s toolkit, as it allows you to quickly and effectively communicate the value of your product or service to potential investors, partners, or customers. Here are some tips for crafting the perfect 20-second startup pitch:
- Start with a compelling hook: Your pitch should grab the attention of your audience right away. Consider starting with a question, a statistic, or a problem that your business aims to solve.
- Explain what you do: In a few short sentences, describe what your business does and what makes it unique. Avoid using jargon or technical terms that may be unfamiliar to your audience.
- Highlight the benefits: Rather than just listing features, focus on the benefits that your product or service provides. How does it solve a problem or make people’s lives better?
- Keep it simple: Your pitch should be easy to understand, even for those who are not familiar with your industry. Avoid using complex language or industry-specific terminology.
- Practice, practice, practice: The best pitches are those that are well-rehearsed and delivered with confidence. Practice your pitch in front of friends, family, or colleagues to get feedback and make any necessary adjustments.
By following these tips, you can create a compelling 20-second pitch that effectively communicates the value of your business and helps you stand out in a crowded market. If you want some expert tips check out our video with Dr. Sean Wise on the key elements of an Elevator Pitch check out.
5 20-Second Pitch Templates:
Here are 5 Elevator Pitch or 20-second Pitch Templates to help you get started, Try using these at our monthly networking and open pitch event Startup Investor Drinks:
- Are you tired of [problem], our
- Imagine a world where [problem] is solved, that’s what our
- Hello, my name is [name] and I am the founder of [company/product/service]. We offer [brief description of product/service]. Our unique selling point is [unique value proposition or key benefit]. Our target audience is [target audience]. If you’re interested, I’d love to schedule a meeting to discuss further and see how we can help you [call to action or next step]
- Hi, I’m [name], and I have an idea for a
- Hello, I’m [name], and I work for [company]. We’ve developed a [brief description of product/service], that makes [key benefit or unique value proposition]. We’ve had great success with [target audience], and think it would be beneficial for you as well. Let’s schedule a meeting to discuss further [call to action or next step]
Let me know how these templates worked for you and share your own if you have any.